What is an ‘AED’ and where can you find one in your parish?

An AED is an Automated External Defibrillator, and it is a portable device that checks the heart rhythm and can send an electric shock to the heart to try to restore a normal rhythm. AEDs are used to treat Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). This is a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating. The Parish Council has provided AEDs in both villages – next to the door into Northaw Village Hall, and on the wall between the Parish Office and Cuffley Hall in Maynard Place, Cuffley. So, what should you do if you finds someone who has been taken ill and may need help from an AED?

After checking the scene and ensuring that the person does need help, you should call 999 and ask for the ambulance service. Describe the location and the  condition of the person, and they will be aware of the location of the nearest AED and they be able to tell you if you should use it. They will also tell you the code needed to gain access to the unit which houses the AED.

Once you have opened the housing, you can lift out the portable AED and take it to the person in need of help. The machine is permanently connected to a power supply so will be ready to use. The units provided by the Parish Council are fully automated and you will hear spoken instructions telling you exactly what to do. There is absolutely no need to worry about doing the wrong thing as you cannot harm a person with the unit, and there is a good chance that you will save their life!

The Parish Councillors are very interested in hearing about when the AED’s have been used, and in what circumstances, so if you know anyone who has used them, or had perhaps you have been helped by one yourself, please do let me know.

Jason Grocock – Clerk to the Council   01707-875825