Northaw & Cuffley Parish Council


Roads, Parking, Footpaths, Footways (aka pavement) and Verges are the responsibility of either the Highway Authority, Hertfordshire County Council or the District Council, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council. Below we have set out the responsibilities of each with appropriate contact details

Roads, Footpaths, Pavements and Verges

With the exception of some private roads within Northaw and Cuffley all roads and associated pavements (footways), street lighting, street furniture, footpaths and verges are the responsibility of Hertfordshire County Council. Any faults or issues should be reported to the County and the contact details are set out at the bottom of the page.

Obstruction of the road or footpath

If a vehicle is parked either on the footpath or road in a manner that causes a serious obstruction to either pedestrians or vehicles this is a matter that only the Police have powers to deal with. You can contact the police to report non emergency matters on 101. Or through this website:

On street car parking

All on street car parking is the responsibility of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council who determine, manage and enforce the yellow line regime. In particular parking enforcement is no longer the responsibility of the Police and all issues relating to on street car parking, other than obstruction should be referred to the Council. Contact details are set out at the bottom of the page.

Parking on grass verges

There are Bye Laws in place which make it unlawful to park on a grass verge.  Any such instances should be reported to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council who will in appropriate situations take action. When reporting such incidents details of location, vehicle make and registration and if possible photo evidence should be provided.

You can use the details below to further your complaint with the relevant official bodies responsible for the management of these respective areas.

General Guidance on Bad, Inconsiderate and Dangerous Parking of Vehicles

A vehicle causing an obstruction is one which has been parked and left unattended in such a way that it is considered to be a hazard to other road or footway users. For example, a vehicle may have been parked on a bend on the carriageway or at a junction, creating a safety hazard to other users; it may have been parked across a footway blocking free passage to pedestrians, particularly those using mobility scooters or with push chairs; or a vehicle may have been parked in front of a driveway blocking access to private or public property.

To report dangerous parking or parking that has caused an obstruction, please contact Hertfordshire Constabulary on the non-emergency number,101 giving as much detail as possible

  • Your name, email or contact address
  • Your telephone number
  • Location of the vehicle causing obstruction, e.g. at junction of, outside house number
  • Make, model and colour of vehicle
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Details of any suspected local owner/registered keeper of the vehicle

Hertfordshire County Council  or
Main council website:
tel: 0300 123 4040 office hours or 0300 123 4047 out of hours

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council

tel: 01707 357000